Saturday, September 26, 2009

Response for Randy Paush

I must start this reaction blog, with the one statement: "impressive." This lecture was more than I thought that it ever could be. Is was worried about the length at the beginning, but simply I was wrong to worry. The leadership, creativity, ingenuity,life lessons were amazing. I don't even know where to start summarizing this lecture, but I will give it my best effort.

This man's life was spent doing what he loved to do, and he seemed to have no regrets, in football terms he "left it all on the field." Mr. Paush, opened his lecture with another football illustration one in which I am familiar and have herd before, but still believe in very much."Fundamentals must be perfected, or else fancy work won't work." This presentation is loaded with a plethora of information, and one liners that motivate me, and encourage me in my future. The fact is that no matter what came down the turn pike Mr. Paush, kept his head up and conquered the "brick walls" he encountered. Describing the brick walls as obstacles on the road to achievement not barriers that last forever, was especially motivating, truly they are for someone else problems but not for the inspired.

His dreams were well suited as a child during the 1960's as unmanageable events in the world were happening world around him. He felt that nothing was impossible if one truly put their mind too the task. I liked his example of Capt. Kirk, I never though of him as a a great leader before this presentation, but now I see where Mr. Paush is coming from. The Capt. was not the smartest, strongest, or best looking, but he had the leadership skills, and that is what mattered. Another sports related illustration "when your only in for one play, you have the freedom to knock some one's head off." I am a hug fan of statements that are short and concise but pack a big punch. This man's life was just that, short lived, but knocked people like myself out.

Mr. Paush, second life view in the helping of others was encouraging to hear. I also believe that helping others is one of the fundamental opportunities that we have a educators. In my opinion I believe that this world is run most effective when people learn servant leadership roles, this applys to any field.

His final outlook on life, encompassed remembering to where you came from, and who played a part in getting you there. Although his attitude was that of "Tigger" I know that he did have some days when he felt like "Eeyore." So never complain just work harder. Or my personal favourite, "Don't bail, the best gold is at the bottom of the barrels of crap."

No comments:

Post a Comment