Thursday, August 20, 2009

My take on: Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity

When I first saw the title of this speech I immediately rolled my eyes. Not to my surprise when I pressed play I herd the voice of an English man. Without hesitation, I put my head down to fall asleep as if exhausted, but still I listened because I was assigned to hear him talk about the education system. To my surprise I actually liked many of his thoughts, at least where he is going with them. But I don't necessarily agree with how he gets there, the "vehicle" he chooses to word it different. I think Mr. Robinson, wants radical changes to the education system across the world, not just a few liberal changes. I believe that the education system must evolve over time, but I do not believe that all should be scraped and just start a new.

Speaking only for American schools we need to get measures in place to allow children to be pushed, and allowed to be creative at an early age, so as not to take from them talents. I do not believe that schools detour away from certain children only because they show less potential in a higher-level work force, as Mr. Robinson points out. Simply some children will inherently excel, and some will struggle for “C.” I believe part of school curriculum should be inactive. Allow students to go “dancing” whatever it takes to have the children learn. But some parts need to be strict and rigged, because that’s how many business meetings are along with other “grown-up” adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment